Project partner #1
NAME OF THE ORGANIZATION: University of Southern Denmark (SDU)
MAIN CONTACT FOR GoJELLY: Prof. Dr. Jamileh Javidpour, firstname.lastname@example.org
ADDRESS: Campusvej 55, 5230 Odense M, Denmark
WEBSITE and other links:
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE ORGANIZATION
SDU (University of Southern Denmark) was founded in 1966 as a research and educational institution with strong contacts with regional industries and the international scientific community. The university offers teaching and research at 6 campuses. With more than 32,000 students and more than 4,000 employees, the university provides first-class educational opportunities and is cooperation partner for both public and private businesses and organizations for providing qualified labs. SDU has 100+ active projects under FP7/H2020. The Department of Biology administrates 5 disciplinary research areas: Aquatic ecology, Ecotoxicology, Early evolution on earth, Evolutionary biodemography and Sound Communication & Behavior with around 50 permanent staff, 45 PhD student and 23 post docs. Department of Chemical Engineering, Biotechnology, and Environmental Technology has expertise within Functional materials, Food science, Protein technology, Life cycle assesment, Biomedical engineering with around 35 permanent staff, and 35 PhD students and post docs.
COMPETENCES AND INVOLVEMENT in GoJelly
- SDU is leading the project as coordinator
- At the Marine Biological Research Centre in Kerteminde, there will be access to seawater flow-through tanks, and to Kerteminde Fjord/Kertinge Nor
- SDU has a bioimaging facility with state-of-the-art optical microscopes for detail assesment of structural and functional aspects of jellyfish. MPC is in the steering commitee of the facility.
- The Department of Chemical Engineering, Biotechnology and Environmental technology has chemical analytical instrumentation such as HPLC, GC, AAS that is available for use in the project to quantify bioactive compounds including amino acid and lipid composition in jellyfish.
- Offers its unique analytical facilities suitable for research on jellyfish, such as delta N15, delta C13 and delta S34 measurements of low-biomass samples, fatty acid analysis, flow cytrometery and stoichiometrical measurements.
- Providing excellent network of the Research and Innovation Organiyation (RIO) to support IPR, ethic issues, steering the legal, safety and security-related aspects of multi-use platforms in GoJelly.