Project partner #1
NAME OF THE ORGANIZATION: GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel
MAIN CONTACT FOR GoJELLY: Dr. Jamileh Javidpour, firstname.lastname@example.org
ADDRESS: Duesternbrooker Weg 20, 24105- Kiel, Germany
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE ORGANIZATION
GEOMAR is among the largest non-university research institutions in the field of marine sciences in Germany (950 staff), and a member of the Helmholtz Association, Germany’s largest non-university scientific organisation. The centre’s mandate is the inter-and multidisciplinary investigation of all relevant aspects of modern marine sciences, from sea floor geology through physical, chemical and biological oceanography to marine meteorology. Research is conducted worldwide in all oceans. The main research topics are grouped in four divisions: Ocean Circulation and Climate Dynamics, Marine Biogeochemistry, Marine Ecology, and Dynamics of the Ocean Floor. GEOMAR cooperates closely with national and international research institutions and with a number of SMEs active in marine technology and science. Within the research division Marine Ecology the core activities are to understand species interactions under climate change, how biodiversity- ecosystem function and what are novel marine resources in terms of genomic/ marine organism and substances that can be utilized for human application.
COMPETENCES AND INVOLVEMENT in GoJelly
- GEOMAR leading the project as coordinator
- Offers its mid-size research vessels (ALKOR or POSEIDON) for investigations of the Baltic Sea/North Sea over the course of the project
- Offers its unique analytical facilities suitable for research on jellyfish, such as simultaneous delta N-15, delta C-13 and delta S-34 measurements of low-biomass samples, fatty acid analysis, flow cytrometery and stoichiometrical measurements.
- Providing the innovative cage »Flow2Vortex« for the purpose of jellyfish cultures
- Providing excellent network, being ranked among the five leading marine research institutions world wide